What Are Veneers
Dental veneers are wafer thin shells of tooth colored materials that are custom made and designed to cover your tooth surface in an attempt to change your teeth color, length and shape or to mask any surface irregularities. Veneers can be made of porcelain or a resin composite material, which your dentist can help you choose the best.
Problems that can be fixed using dental veneers:
- Discolored tooth
- Worn down tooth
- Chipped or broken tooth
- Misaligned or irregularly shaped toot
- Teeth with gaps.
Various procedures involved in veneer fabrication include:
- The diagnosis and treatment planning:
- Here the dentist can make a proper assessment of your tooth condition, may take X-rays to assess the status of your teeth and discusses with you about the pros and cons of the various options of treatment available for your condition and the costs involved.
- Tooth preparation and impression making:
- The dentist prepares the tooth by removing a little of your enamel to create space to accommodate the veneer. He will then make an exact replica of your prepared tooth using computerized techniques called the CAD/CAM or may choose to use the conventional methods.
- Cementation of the veneers
- The veneers are then assessed for the proper fit and then cemented onto the prepared tooth.
Who is a candidate for Dental Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers, either porcelain or composite, are placed over the surface of the front teeth to alter color, size and shape of the teeth. Veneers are ideally suited for teeth that have gaps in between as well are those that are too small, too big, or have uneven surfaces. Most people have imperfect teeth, some have oddly shaped teeth, there are also some with chipped and/or crooked teeth, and there are even those with small holes in their teeth. To solve such imperfections, most dentist recommend tooth veneer placements. Veneers will improve smile and the overall appearance of the teeth, which will enable anyone to be very self-confident. Placement of veneers will also strengthen the teeth while it allows the patient to flash the most dazzling smile. So, the best candidate for veneer placements are the people with one or more of those problems mentioned above. But the first that should be done is to consult a dentist. Consultation is essential because the dentist will determine the amount of restoration that needs to be done as well as the best type of veneer to be placed. For those with problem mentioned above, it is best to analyze if veneers is the best treatment for their specific problems. A dentist is the best authority to suggest on what treatment is the best for specific dental problems.
If a patient is set on having veneer placements, it is best if the dentist can emphasize the benefits of the procedure as well as the cost the patient will need to pay and of the step by step procedures. Most times dentist also allows the patients to choose the type of veneer to be installed. This is for small dental problems, wherein either composite or porcelain veneers can be placed on the tooth surface. But for bigger issues, dentists insist on using porcelain veneers. This is because the most common big dental problem requires stronger materials therefore porcelain is the choice.